Sunday, October 11, 2009

six year old's have six hundred questions...

We have our friend's daughter with us until Tuesday. Her name is Sarah and she is 6. We have her from Sunday - Tuesday, and she's awesome! But it is 9:15 at night, and I'm exhausted.

Like I said, she is six, and has so! many! questions! "why is it so cold? "is this why your house is so cold? (pointing to the skylight)"where do teeth come from?" Why do teeth fall out?" (she lost her first tooth last week, that's why so many teeth questions!) were there trees around before people?" These questions come just randomly too. there's no preparation, no warning, we're just driving in the car and BOOM! You're hit with one. Like "were there trees before people??" Ian said no - I said yes because there were trees when dinosaurs were around- he said there were caveman's - we stopped before we confused the poor girl.

I figure with so many questions, either parents are really smart, really creative, or just have no answer. Right now I'm all over the map with her, I don't want her to think I am stupid, so I want to offer some sort of answer, but I don't want to lie to her, she's bound to find the real answer someday...She's so curious....

I just studied for a math test while watching Fraggle Rock (and luckily my math test is WEDNESDAY, so it's not like major-important-studying going on, just brushing up..) and I thought to myself, how DO people do it? Study, work, raise a child. Studying and Fraggle Rock to not belong together, but somehow, people do it.

There is this concert tonight that Ian and I both wanted to go to, but someone's gotta stay home with the kid! Ian went - he is after all - the music guy. Oh, and I had to study. But it was like "oh. Weird. Only one of us get's to go......" Not like we could find a sitter -- we are the sitters!

It's good to have these little "glimpse" into parenting...The only thing I can think right now is how tired I am!

After we bought our house, people ask us, like once a week if we are gonna have a baby. This makes me want to put it off another year or 500....

We really really do love watching other people's kids, we love the opportunity to play and feed, and take care of some of the best kiddo's around! We're really thankful people trust us with their kids, its a huge honor, and we're so happy to do it!

Today we went on a hike, swam at the pool, and made a mess of the house --watched Fraggle Rock, ate popcorn & hot chocolate-- tomorrow I think a movie is on our agenda, and possibly carving pumpkins -- fun stuff, for sure! I'll get some pictures up soon of our fun little adventures. Happy fall!

No comments: